acupuncture during pregnancy
Acupuncture is very safe to use while pregnant, and can be used from the first week of pregnancy right up until labor commences. It can also be used to support the birth process and the mother’s recovery after the birth. We are passionate about your individual health journey and we are here to support you through all stages of your pregnancy.
During your pregnancy, we can help reduce morning sickness and nausea and provide supportive energy through gentle acupuncture treatments. We can also address episodes of depression that may occur during pregnancy for some women.
When used during pregnancy Acupuncture has been found to help with the following:
- Morning sickness and hyperemesis
- Digestion issues
- Migraines and headaches
- Fatigue and insomnia
- Mood and emotional changes
- Asthma and bronchitis, common cold and flu
- Kidney complaints
- Blood pressure changes
- Restless legs and itching
- Turning of a Breech Baby – use of Moxibustion
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
Acupuncture for Breech Babies
Moxibustion, using the burning of the herb mugwort, has been found to be successful at turning breech babies. We follow a specific protocol that avoids skin contact. Although we recommend starting treatments at 33 weeks, we have seen success in patients even at 38-39 weeks.
Acupuncture for Labor Preparation
As part of your treatments during pregnancy, we will provide you with labor preparation guidance, which will begin at 36 weeks. We will also show you acupressure points that can be used during labor to aid in your delivery.
For postpartum patients, we are here to support you in the process of bringing your body back into balance.
Post-natal acupuncture helps with the following:
- To calm the mind and to bring the hormonal, nervous and energetic systems back into balance
- Prevention of postpartum depression and exhaustion
- To establish lactation and reduce mastitis
- Recovery, physically and psychologically, after miscarriage.
Please contact us for more details about acupuncture during pregnancy, or to book your first appointment.