acupuncture for fertility and conception
Whether you are just beginning the journey toward conception or are actively working with fertility specialists, we are here to support your journey.
Many factors can affect a woman’s ability to conceive, however, if it’s possible for these factors to be overcome, conception can occur. Acupuncture can help with this process when used on its own, although it does take time. We recommend committing to 90 days of weekly or twice monthly sessions to bring the body back into a balanced state. These sessions can also be used to prepare for or in between IVF cycles.
Acupuncture can also be used in a combination treatment plan alongside ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology). We will work with your medical team to discuss timing of the weekly sessions alongside the ART hormonal treatment protocols, pre and post embryo transfer, IUI, and donor embryo transfer. This can be done within the 24 hour period before and after the treatment.
In order to prepare a woman for pregnancy, acupuncture points and meridians are chosen, according to the principles of TCM. This helps to regulate the menstrual cycle, enhancing the receptivity of the uterus by improving the quality of the mucus and building up the lining of the endometrium.
Similarly, the use of acupuncture can help a man overcome difficulties conceiving by having a positive effect on the sperm. Sperm quality is crucial for fertility, as sperm need to survive the long and difficult journey though the woman’s reproductive tract to reach the egg and successfully transport the male DNA. Acupuncture may help to improve sperm quality, including low sperm count, poor motility and structural abnormalities. Note: It takes up to 3 months for sperm development. By way of improving circulation to the pelvic organs, Acupuncture can also improve the male fertility factor.
Acupuncture helps to:
- Regulate the Hypothalamic Pituitary Ovarian axis by regulating hormonal imbalance and reducing stress, which both can result in the hypothalamus failing to send messages to the pituitary gland, which in turn disturbs the normal levels of FSH and LH.
Promote general relaxation and wellbeing, and calm the nervous system and reduce stress.
Improve blood flow to the uterus and ovaries by reducing the constriction in the uterine arteries.
Treat Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Fibroids, Endometriosis and hormone and autoimmune disorders.
Stabilize the endocrine system and reduce side effects of hormone treatments.
- Relax the uterus and prevent contractions pre and post procedures.
- Strengthen core strength and stamina, for both men and women.
- Enhance sperm quality and sexual vitality.
- Prevent miscarriage by reducing the uterine spasms, and strengthening the energetic inner core which is responsible for the stabilization of the embryo during the implantation process.
Please contact us for more details about acupuncture for fertility, or to book your first appointment.